Diclofenac sodium injection is used to relieve pain and has anti-inflammatory properties. The drug has paramount importance among patients of osteoarthritis (tender and painful joints due to wear down of protective cartilage between the ends of the bones), rheumatoid arthritis (a type of arthritis affecting the small joints of the body), ankylosing spondylitis (pain and stiffness of bones of the spine), lower back pain, and neck pain. Diclofenac has a blocking mechanism through which it inhibits the production of cyclooxygenase which is responsible for the synthesis of a compound called prostaglandin. This compound induces the symptoms of arthritis such as inflammation, swelling, and pain. The medicine also hampers the production of bacterial D.N.A. making diclofenac a preferable choice in pain relievers.
The standard recommended dosage of diclofenac is twice a day. The medicine should not be taken without a doctor’s consultation. Diclofenac sodium is also available in different variables of tablets and solutions. As per the expert, a person should complete their course of medication and avoid skipping a dose. To compensate for the skipped dose, consuming double dosage has equally harmful implications. Your doctor should be pre-informed of all the allergies and your detailed medical history before taking diclofenac. Patients with heart problems, hypertension, high cholesterol, asthma, diabetes, and bleeding disorder are at a high risk of getting severe side effects. Therefore, a doctor’s consultation becomes necessary for them before injecting diclofenac sodium injection. Let’s look at the uses, side effects, drug interaction, and precautions of the drug diclofenac sodium:
Uses of Diclofenac Sodium 75 mg Injection
The Diclofenac Sodium 75 mg Injection is majorly used to relieve pain associated with any kind of injury or a specific health condition. The common health conditions that require getting shot with diclofenac sodium 75 mg injection are:
1. Dysmenorrhea – To relieve the pain of cramps during menstruation, diclofenac sodium 75 mg injection is used.
2. Migraine – Diclofenac sodium 75 mg injection can be used to treat the acute pain of migraine.
3. Mild to Moderate Pain – The injuries sustained while playing a sport or during an accident also requires diclofenac sodium 75mg injection to relieve pain.
4. Tendinitis – The inflammation or swelling caused in tendons (the fibrous connective tissue that attaches muscle to bone) can be treated with Diclofenac Sodium 75 mg Injection.
5. Rheumatoid Arthritis – Diclofenac Sodium 75 mg Injection is useful to cure stiffness around joints, pain, and swelling seen in patients of rheumatoid arthritis.
6. Osteoarthritis – The pain and swelling of tender joints, seen in osteoarthritis can be treated by Diclofenac Sodium 75 mg Injection.
Side effects of Diclofenac Sodium 75 mg Injection
Diclofenac can induce a wide range of side effects unique to every individual. Usually, the side effects are mild to moderate and do not require medical attention. However, if the side effects persist or get severe, immediate consultation from a doctor is necessary. Some commonly seen side effects of diclofenac sodium 75 mg injection are:
- Pain in extremities
- Limb pain
- Injection site reactions (pain, swelling, redness)
- Edema (swelling caused by fluid retention)
- Skin Rash
Important Precautions for Diclofenac Sodium 75 mg Injection
Diclofenac sodium is a potent drug, capable of inducing numerous side effects. Hence, it is important to know all the precautions necessary to perform before taking diclofenac. The list of precautions is given below:
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should only take the medicine when prescribed by their doctor.
- Diclofenac Sodium 75 mg Injection is not for self-administration. It should be injected by a medical practitioner.
- The dosage should not be skipped or doubled as it can have an undesirable effect.
- The medicine can have a harsh impact on the elderly; hence, a doctor’s consultation is suggested.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Is Diclofenac Sodium 75 mg Injection safe for heart patients?
Prolonged usage of diclofenac tremendously increases the risk of getting a heart attack or a stroke. Hence, it should only be given after a doctor’s consultation.
- Can Diclofenac Sodium 75 mg Injection be used when breastfeeding?
Diclofenac tends to seep into the breast milk, which can enter the child’s body. Therefore, the medicine should not be given to a breastfeeding mother without a doctor’s consultation.
- Can a person consume alcohol when injected with Diclofenac Sodium 75 mg Injection?
Diclofenac Sodium 75 mg Injection induces drowsiness and mental fog, hence consuming alcohol is not advised by the doctors.