Rabeprazole +Domperidone is a combination medicine used in the treatment of peptic ulcers and gastroesophageal reflux disease (acid reflux). The medication comprises sustained released tablets that prolong the medication’s release from a tablet so that the medication benefits over a longer period of time. The Rabeprazole +Domperidone tablets are used in the treatment of acid reflux due to hyperacidity, stomach ulcer (Peptic ulcer disease), and Zollinger Ellison syndrome (overproduction of acid due to a pancreatic tumor). The medication also reduces the amount of acid in the stomach and decreases the symptoms of nausea and vomiting.
Stick to the prescribed dosage and duration and complete the full course of the medicine. Do not crush, chew or break the tablets. Swallow the whole tablet with water. Some people may experience side effects such as headache, diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, flatulence, dizziness, and arthralgia (joint pain). Inform the doctor if you are allergic to active ingredients used in the medicine or similar medicines. Avoid the overdosage of medicine as it causes a deficiency of Vitamin B-12 and low levels of calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin D leading to osteoporosis (brittle or weak bones).
Uses of Rabeprazole +Domperidone Tablets
The medication is composed of Domperidone and Rabeprazole. Rabeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) that works by decreasing the amount of acid in the stomach which provides relief from acid-related indigestion and heartburn. Domperidone is a prokinetic that works on the upper digestive tract to increase the movement of the stomach and intestines, allowing the food to move more easily through the stomach. The tablets are indicated for the following mentioned diseases:
- Gastro-Esophagal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Acid reflux
- Peptic ulcer
- Stomach ulcers
- Dyspepsia (stomach discomfort due to indigestion)
Side Effects of Rabeprazole +Domperidone Tablets
The Rabeprazole +Domperidone Tablets have moderate to temporary side effects that get resolved over time. The side effects are individual to all the users and depend on the health condition and response to the therapy. In case your side effects worse with time, immediately contact your doctor. The list of side effects is given below:
- Abdominal pain
- Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
- Inflammation of the nose
- Back pain
Drug Interactions of Rabeprazole +Domperidone Tablets
Some drugs may interact with each other and cause severe health effects. It is advised to not take the Rabeprazole +Domperidone Tablets with the following mentioned drugs. Drugs can also interact with particular food items or certain health conditions.
- blood thinner (clopidogrel, warfarin)
- antifungal (ketoconazole, voriconazole, itraconazole, fluconazole, posaconazole)
- anti-HIV drug (atazanavir, amprenavir, nelfinavir)
- antacid (magnesium hydroxide, aluminum hydroxide, cimetidine)
- iron supplements
- antibiotics (clarithromycin, erythromycin, ampicillin, rifampicin)
- heart medicine (atropine, digoxin, amiodarone)
- blood pressure-lowering medicines (diltiazem)
- anti-cancer drug (methotrexate)
- anti-nausea pills (aprepitant)
Precautions and Warnings
1. Avoid taking the medicine without a doctor’s consultation if you are pregnant or lactating.
2. Do not take this medicine for a longer duration as it can cause weak bones and deficiency of minerals such as magnesium.
3. Avoid consuming alcohol as it may worsen the side effects or hampers the absorption of the medicine.
4. Keep the medicine out of reach of children and pets. Carefully dispose of expired and discarded medicines.
5. Store the tablets in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What are the contraindications of Domperidone+Rabeprazole tablets?
People with hypersensitivity to rabeprazole or domperidone or any other inactive ingredients of the medicine should not take these tablets. Caution is advised in patients with underlying kidney or liver disease.
2. Are Rabeprazole +Domperidone Tablets safe to use?
Yes, Domperidone+Rabeprazole is safe for most patients. However, in some patients, it may cause common side effects like diarrhea, stomach pain, flatulence, dryness in the mouth, dizziness, headache, and other uncommon and rare side effects.