Cefpodoxime is an antibiotic used in the treatment of several bacterial infections such as bronchitis (infection of the airway tubes leading to the lungs); pneumonia; gonorrhea (a sexually transmitted disease); and infections of the skin, ear, sinuses, throat, tonsils, and urinary tract. Cefpodoxime attacks bacteria by hampering the formation of bacterial protective covering (cell wall), imperative for their survival. Antibiotics such as Cefpodoxime are only effective in treating bacterial infections and not viral infections such as the common cold and flu. It is advisable to not use antibiotics when not required as it may affect their efficacy and lead to antibiotic resistance.
Take the medicine with or without food or as advised by the doctor. It is a dispersible tablet that disintegrates when mixed with saliva. Hence, you do not require to swallow the whole tablet with water. It is recommended to take the medicine at the same time each day to increase the efficacy of the medicine and give better results. You will start feeling better within the first week of its usage. In case your symptoms do not get better, call your doctor. Some people may notice side effects such as rash, itchy skin, swelling of the face and mouth, difficulty in breathing, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to Cefpodoxime or cephalosporin antibiotic such as cefaclor, cefadroxil,cefazolin (Ancef, Kefzol), cefdinir, cefditoren (Spectracef), cefepime (Maxipime), cefixime (Suprax), cefotaxime (Claforan), cefotetan, cefoxitin (Mefoxin), cefprozil, ceftaroline (Teflaro), ceftazidime (Fortaz, Tazicef, in Avycaz), ceftibuten (Cedax).
Uses of Cefpodoxime Tablets
The Cefpodoxime tablets belong to the class of medicines called antibiotics. It is a commonly prescribed drug used in the treatment of a wide range of bacterial infections. The list of bacterial infections where Cefpodoxime tablets are used is given below:
- Bronchitis (infection of the airway tubes leading to the lungs)
- Gonorrhea (a sexually transmitted disease)
- Infections of the skin, ear, sinuses, throat, tonsils
- Urinary Tract Infection
Side Effects of Cefpodoxime Tablets
There are mild to moderate side effects of Cefpodoxime that may last for a few days. Usually, the side effects are temporary and get resolved over time. If the side effects persist or get severe with time, immediately consult your doctor. The list of side effects observed after the usage of Cefpodoxime is given below:
- stomach pain
- swelling, redness, irritation, burning, or itching of the vagina
- white vaginal discharge
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- a return of fever, sore throat, chills, or other signs of infection
Some drugs may interact with each other and cause severe allergic reactions or other similar negative health effects. The drugs can also interact with certain food items or under the influence of some health conditions.
Interaction with medicines:
- antacids (Maalox, Mylanta, others)
- colistimethate (Coly-Mycin M)
- diuretics (‘water pills’)
- famotidine (Pepcid)
- neomycin (Neo-Fradin)
- nizatidine (Axid)
- polymixin B
- probenecid (Probalan)
- ranitidine (Zantac)
- vancomycin (Vancocin)
Precautions and Warnings
1. Avoid consuming alcohol as it may hamper the working of the medicine or worsen the effect.
2. Pregnant women should consult their doctor before consuming this medicine as it might affect the fetus.
3. Keep the medicine out of reach of children and pets. Properly dispose of expired and discarded medicines.
4. Store the tablets in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight.
5. Kidney and liver patients should consult their doctor before using this medicine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can I stop taking Cefpodoxime when my symptoms are relieved or when I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Cefpodoxime Proxetil before completing the full course of treatment. You may start feeling better before the infection is completely cured. But, it is important to take this medicine for the full duration advised by the doctor.
2. Can the use of Cefpodoxime cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Cefpodoxime Proxetil can cause diarrhea. Cefpodoxime Proxetil is an antibiotic that kills harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If diarrhea persists, talk to your doctor about it.