Ceftriaxone is commonly prescribed for the treatment of a wide range of bacterial infections. The medicine belongs to a category of medication called cephalosporin antibiotics. The ceftriaxone injection is highly beneficial in the treatment of bacterial infections such as gonorrhea (a sexually transmitted disease), pelvic inflammatory disease (infection of the female reproductive organs that may cause infertility), meningitis (infection of the membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord), and infections of the lungs, ears, skin, urinary tract, blood, bones, joints, and abdomen. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to Ceftriaxone injections or similar medicines.
Ceftriaxone is not effective against antiviral infections such as the common cold and flu. Do not self-medicate the medicine. Follow the dosage and duration prescribed by your healthcare professional. The injections shall be administered under the guidance of a healthcare professional. Some users may experience a few side effects such as Swelling, redness, or pain at the injection site. Consult your doctor if the side effects worsen or persist with time.
Medical Benefits of Ceftriaxone Injection
Ceftriaxone injection is primarily prescribed for the treatment of a wide range of bacterial infections. The medicine works by slowly rupturing the cell wall or outer protection covering of the bacterial cell. This way ceftriaxone disrupts the life cycle of the bacterial cell and stops them from multiplying further.
The injections can also be used in the treatment of sinus infections, endocarditis (infection of the heart lining and valves), chancroid (genital sores caused by bacteria), Lyme disease (an infection that is transmitted by tick bites that may cause problems with the heart, joints, and nervous system), relapsing fever (an infection that is transmitted by tick bites that cause repeated episodes of fever). Some of the major medical benefits of ceftriaxone injection are briefed below:
- Target a wide range of bacterial infections.
- Show minimal side effects.
- High efficacy in fighting bacterial infections.
Directions for Use
Carefully, read the instructions given along with the Ceftriaxone injection. The injection shall be administered subcutaneously (under the skin) and intramuscularly (into the muscles) by a healthcare professional. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment.
Side Effects of Ceftriaxone Sodium 3mg Injection
Mostly the side effects of Ceftriaxone sodium injection are mild to temporary and get resolved over time. The side effects may vary in all patients as they depend on the physiological condition and response to the treatment. Inform your doctor if the side effects persist or worsen with time. The range of side effects noticed on using the ceftriaxone injection are mentioned below:
- Pain, tenderness, hardness, or warmth in the place where ceftriaxone was injected
- Pale skin, weakness, or shortness of breath when exercising
Ceftriaxone injection may interact with other medicines when taken with other medications. The injection may interact with certain food items or health conditions. Do not take Ceftriaxone injection with the following mentioned drugs:
- Calcium containing products
- Other antibiotics.
- Oral anticoagulants
- Loop diuretics
- Proton Pump Inhibitors
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Avoid consuming alcohol with Ceftriaxone injection as it may cause adverse health effects.
- Do not take Ceftriaxone injections without a doctor’s consultation if you are pregnant or breastfeeding your baby.
- Do not skip the dosages and complete the entire course of your medicine.
- Ceftriaxone injection is not recommended for newborns with high blood bilirubin levels and premature infants due to the increased risk of side effects.
- Store the Ceftriaxone injection in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Properly dispose of the ceftriaxone injection if expired or discarded. Keep the injection out of reach of children and pets.