Cefuroxime 500 mg Tablets – A division of cephalosporin antibiotics, Cefuroxime is an antibiotic that is used to treat certain skin infections caused by bacteria such as gonorrhea (a sexually transmitted disease), bronchitis (infections of the airway tubes), Lyme disease (infections that occur after bitten by a tick), pharyngitis, sinusitis, otitis media, infections of the skin, sinuses, throat, ears, tonsils, and urinary tract. It is offered by the brand name ABISEF at Abiba Pharmacia.
Cefuroxime works by preventing the bacteria to form a cell wall; a bacteria protective covering that is needed for the survival of bacteria in the body. This ultimately leads to the death of the bacteria and there is no further growth of the infection in the body. This medication is also used to prevent infections occurred after surgery.
The dosage of the medication is based on the medical condition and response to therapy. Take this medicine daily twice a day after every two hours. It is advised to take this medicine with food to reduce the risks of stomach upset and increase absorption.
- Follow the instructions given on the label and provided by the doctor or physician.
- Do not skip any doses in-between and finish the complete course even if the symptoms start getting disappear. Stopping the doses of the medicine may result in the comeback of the symptoms which will become harder to treat.
- Take the special diet as recommended by the doctor or health specialist and if it is not, continue with the normal existing diet.
- Before taking this medicine, inform the doctor if there are any allergic reactions to Cefuroxime or related medications.
Cefuroxime may interact with other drugs or vitamins that a person is already consuming. This interaction may harm the working mechanism of the medication and may prevent it from functioning properly in the body.
1. Oral Contraceptives
- desogestrel/ethinyl estradiol
- drospirenone/ethyinyl estradiol
- norgestrel/ethinyl estradiol
- levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol
- norethindrone acetate/ethinyl estradiol
- magnesium hydroxide
- calcium carbonate
- aluminum hydroxide
3. Proton Pump Inhibitors
Common Side Effects
Serious Side Effects
- Swelling of the eyes, face, throat, tongue, or lips
- Trouble Breathing or Swallowing
- Watery or Bloody Stools
- Sore Throat
1. How long does Cefuroxime take to start working in the body?
It is generally dependent on the type of infection and the patient’s response to the medicine. Generally, the symptoms of bacterial infections start to reduce in 48 to 72 hours after the initial period of the medication.
2. Can Cefuroxime be taken without food?
It is not advisable to consume this food without food or an empty stomach. According to the experts, it is beneficial to take Cefuroxime twice a day with meals as it will help in the absorption of food and promote the effectiveness of medicine to the infection.
3. Can Cefuroxime treat viral infections?
This medication does not work in the condition of viral infections, colds, flu, etc. Consuming this medicine in order to treat such health issues may worsen the symptoms and increase the risk of getting an infection later.
4. What should be the dose and duration of Cefuroxime?
The dose and duration depend on certain factors including age and the type of infection. The usual dosage of Cefuroxime tablets is 7 days which can be increased or decreased according to the doctor.