Levocetirizine + Montelukast Syrup is a combination medicine that belongs to the class of drugs called H1 receptor antagonists and Leukotriene receptor antagonists. The syrup is generally used for the treatment of allergic rhinitis, chronic idiopathic urticaria (allergic skin reaction with red raised itchy bumps on the skin), and bronchial asthma in children aged between 2-5 years. Allergic rhinitis also called hay fever is a heterogeneous disorder associated with inflammation of the inner lining of the nose followed by nasal decongestion, repeated sneezing, wheezing, or red, watery, and itchy eyes. Store the syrup in a cool and dry place to prevent any negative effects on the medicine.
Take the syrup as per the prescribed dosage and duration by the doctor. Shake the syrup well before giving it to your children. Do not suddenly stop taking the syrup and complete the full course of the medicine to see the maximum results. Some people users may experience side effects such as Sinusitis (inflammation of the nasal passage), Cough, cold, fever, or flu-like symptoms. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to the active ingredients to avoid any negative health effects.
Uses of Levocetirizine + Montelukast Sodium Syrup
The medicine is composed of Levocetirizine and Montelukast. Levocetirizine works by blocking the actions of histamines (a substance responsible for causing an allergic reaction), at the H1 receptors present on the surface of cells, and montelukast acts by inhibiting the action of leukotrienes D4 (an inflammatory molecule causing narrowing and swelling of the airways) in the lungs, thus causing relaxation of smooth muscle, reduction in swelling and/or inflammation of the airways and an eventual decrease in the onset of allergic reactions. The anti-allergic syrup is used in the treatment of the following mentioned conditions:
- allergic rhinitis
- chronic idiopathic urticaria (allergic skin reaction with red raised itchy bumps on the skin)
- bronchial asthma
- perennial allergic rhinitis
- allergic asthma
Side Effects of Levocetirizine + Montelukast Sodium Syrup
Usually, there are mild to temporary side effects of Levocetirizine + Montelukast Sodium Syrup that get resolved over time. The side effects are unique for all users and depend on the individual health and response to the therapy. You shall immediately contact your doctor if your side effects persevere or worsen with time. The list of side effects noticed on using Levocetirizine + Montelukast Sodium Syrup is mentioned below:
- Dryness in mouth
- Abdominal pain
- Otitis media (infection of the ear)
Two or more drugs when taken together can interact with each other and cause negative health effects. They may also react to certain food items and health conditions causing the same negative health effects. Therefore, avoid taking the syrup with the following mentioned drugs:
- Rifampicin (used to treat tuberculosis)
- Ritonavir (a medicine used to treat viral infections)
- Theophylline (a medicine used to treat asthma)
- Alcohol-containing medicines (Ex. antitussives)
- Gemfibrozil (used to control high blood cholesterol levels)
- Phenytoin, phenobarbital (used to treat epilepsy)
Precautions and Warnings
1. The syrup shall not be used by pregnant women and is only meant to be used by the children.
2. Do not allow your child to play outside for a longer duration as this medicine may cause drowsiness or dizziness.
3. Do not give this syrup to your child if he or she has a kidney disorder.
4. Store the medicine in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight.